Sunday, July 24, 2011

The views in Budapest...and meeting the team



Finally correcting my internal clock...I think. Slept until 10am after being awake for almost 24 hours. A very sound sleep after wandering  the streets of Budapest and enjoying the amazing way it is all illuminated.  Definitely feeling like vacation mode.

I moved from my apartment in Budapest to the hotel where the rest of the team is staying. The hotel itself is an uneventful Communist-era building with decent accommodations.  The hotel is just down the road from the apartment and in the midst of the theatre and Opera district.  The majority of the buildings are gloriously old in Budapest (save the Communist-era ones which are not so nice!) but there is something about being surrounded by old playhouses and being down the street from the Opera House. History and culture all wrapped up into one!




The view from my hotel looks onto a small park and a number of bars, coffee houses and small grocery stores.  But I won't grow too accustomed to it as we head for Oradea, Romania tomorrow at 2pm.

Had our first team dinner tonight:  Kim, Bev, Sue, Heather, Pete & Sarah, Gabe & Joanna. We are still waiting for 3 more people whose flights have been delayed but if all goes well, they will arrive in time to catch our bus tomorrow.

As much as I am enjoying the city and all the great indulgences it has to offer, chatting tonight with everyone about their previous Habitat builds and thinking about my last build in Szarvas, Hungary, I am anxious to get to the orphanage and get to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment